16 July 2012

Lettuce Roll Ups

So, I've been mostly wheat free since the first week of February.  I had a few days in the last three weeks where I tried the old foods just to see how my body responded (eeps, not pretty!).  Weighing myself this morning, Ugh!, I am so disappointed and frustrated.  I no longer fluctuate in weight AT ALL, I'd go over a ten pound span and never quite lose weight.  When I went gluten free I gained weight, probably ten pounds, and manage to lose a few pounds since but have not budged since.  It is so frustrating!

So, I've been thinking that I need to cut carbs hard.  My gluten free alternatives have primarily been garbanzo flour, coconut flour and almond flour-all low on the glycemic index.  My *bread* intake has been very low so I cannot figure out why the weight won't budge.  I can't even bring myself to take time to exercise anymore, I am so maddeningly frustrated. I hate PCOS, hate it with a blinding passion.  I know that my beta blocker isn't helping any either with the weight loss.

So, fresh start again. I decided to really focus on a more vegetarian diet.  I'm still wheat free and sugar isn't really in my diet either.  I need to eat more, at least 3 meals a day, preferably a couple snacks too.

The garden is struggling, the heat and lack of rain has been hard on my plants, even though I water them daily.  So I am still relying on grocery and local farms for my veg. So my options aren't as abundant in my mind as they should be. I am also trying to get more on board with the blood type diet for type A-so making sure I keep clear of the foods on the avoid list.

Today, however, I decided to try a recipe idea I've been drooling over for awhile now.  I love sandwiches and miss them dreadfully.  So today I gave it a go and this was the end result:

2 large head lettuce leaves
2-4 slices of turkey (I use the nitrate free stuff)
1/2 avocado, sliced
1 carrot, sliced very thin
1/2 cucumber, sliced very thin
basil leaves

Hummus

1 can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
2 TB tahini
sea salt, to taste
1 tsp mustard
a few splashes of lime juice (lemon would work but the store hasn't had organic lemons in ages)
several fresh basil leaves, chopped

layer 1-2 slices of turkey on the lettuce leaf, spread with hummus and layer remaining ingredients then roll up.  Not too much hummus otherwise it oozes everywhere and is rather messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment