23 March 2012

Hello low carb, we meet again....for pizza.

So the newness of gluten free eating is being kicked over with the importance of eating low carb. hmmpmh!!
Having PCOS and needing to eat at a lower glycemic level is paramount for my health.  I found a month into GF eating that while I was feeling better my butt was not getting any smaller, I was sticking to the same weight despite eating healthy. I've been having troubles eating enough.  I am currently at two meals a day and a snack.  What frustrates me is that my caloric intake is low enough that anyone else would be losing weight (and that caloric intake is not intentional, just how its happening) but not here in PCOSland. So I am looking at taking the carb level down more. It's not that I eat a lot of carbs. Right now it's two pieces of Rudi's multigrain bread at breakfast (I am fixated on egg, cheese and chicken sausage sandwiches for breakfast) and that's usually it.  Any other carb comes from a veggie source.  So frustrating.

I am also keeping a food diary and I think part of the subconscious reasoning behind the lack of eating is my rosacea flareups.  They have been ugly and my face is spotted with angry red welts which later turn to dried spots of skin.  It's horrid.  I know this is a huge sign that my immune system is mad as hell and something is setting off these reactions so I stick with the familiar and try to figure out what is setting it off (so far tomatoes and certain types of coffee).

So in my never ending quest for a perfect for me pizza I am looking at low carb, gluten free pizza crust recipes.  Tonight I have this Low-Carb, Gluten Free  Flax Crust currently cooking in the oven. It whips up so fast, no rising needed.  It's on its first baking to cook the crust and then we'll top it with some buffalo chicken sausage and mozzarella and bake it some more. 

I've missed pizza since I read  how the common GF flours out there eff up one's glucose/insulin levels so I stopped my baking and pouted a bit.  Now I am back and ready to find new options.  With this flax meal that is a much needed addition to my diet.  Back tomorrow with a follow up


ETA: Finally remembered where I read about certain GF flours not being healthy for me.  It's over at Wheat Belly

No comments:

Post a Comment