13 March 2012

Trial: Gluten-free Waffles

My daughter and I love waffles, I was gifted with a belgian waffle maker last year and when I went gluten free I sadly thought waffles would be a thing of my past. Happily I realized that with all that is available there has to be something for our bi-monthly waffle breakfasts.

I have a couple of recipes I want to try, yesterday I started with Gluten Free Belgian Waffles. While I prefer buying my eggs local (my neighbor!)  the waste of yolks when I bake just wasn't cost effective for me.  So I found egg whites at the store and have been using these whenever I bake.  These waffles get their fluffiness from beaten egg whites, The only trouble I found was that with gluten free baking once you add liquid to the powder ingredients it all glops up FAST.  So folding the egg whites into a firm dough was challenging. I kept at it  and it did mix in enough to look more batter-like.  In the past waffles were made with about 1/3c batter, probably more. I added my usual amount and within seconds it puffed way up and opened the waffle iron.  the waffle was an inch and a half thick!!  so I put a small amount in, maybe 1/4c, probably less, and it came out perfect.  My niece was here visiting and both she and my daughter loved the end result.  We'll be heading to Maine for a few days in a couple of weeks and I plan to make up a batch ahead of time and pop them in the toaster as needed. Needing such little batter per waffle made this batch made 8 waffles, over twice what my usual recipes made. 

Next up I'd like to try Fluffy Gluten Free Waffles.  Ultimately I'd like to get away from the starchy flours and find a blend that is more friendly to my lower carb focus. Even if we only have this once or twice a month I'd like to keep relatively closer to on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment