27 March 2012

pizza crust, redux

So I scrapped the recipe posted earlier, I'll try it eventually however for today I am dealing with a crappy 12 year old coming off of her 5 day cycle of steroids, so I had to make something that sounded good to her ears (this week, any other time she'd be game).

I headed to the kitchen and hauled out my GF flours.  Took a peek at the tapioca flour and potato starch carb counts and WOW, jaw dropping.  As I have packages I'd rather not waste I'll use this on occasion and minimally until gone.  Same goes for the brown rice flour.  I am also looking at non yeast recipes for now as I am struggling with issues when I eat it ever since I was on antibiotics in Feb. I haven't been quite right since despite using probiotics.

So for today I pulled out the chickpea flour, sorghum flour and almond flour and picked apart our fave gluten free pizza crust recipe.  If I recall correctly I added 1/2c sorghum flour, 1/8 c brown rice flour, 1/2 c almond flour, 1 tsp xanthan gum, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1/3 c egg whites, 1 tsp sea salt and enough almond milk to make a good looking dough.

I spread it on parchment paper while the pizza stone heated up.  I spread it using baggie over the hand method to prevent stickage and waste.  Popped it in a 350* oven for 10 min to bake and then pulled it out, added the topping and popped it back in for another 10 min.  My daughter ate HALF the 12 inch pizza.  Holy cow.  The crust was divine, I am still trying to place where the crust would also well in baking.  It was sweetish though no sweeteners were added, so I see a dessert in our future using this.

No comments:

Post a Comment