11 February 2012

Creamy Lentil Soup with Basil Pesto

Not the prettiest photo, my cellphone camera is lousy. Also, bear with me, I didn't keep track of measurements.  I'm fighting a cold and felt miserable last night. Just wanted food in my belly!

I have to watch my sodium intake, so I use low sodium everything as much as possible and use a "no salt" salt substitute.

Creamy Lentil Soup

1 1/2 cups dried red lentils (rinsed and picked over, tiny rocks hurt!)
3-4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup celery, finely chopped
1/2-1 cup carrots, finely chopped
1/2 of one large onion, finely chopped
2-inch *thumb* of fresh ginger, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced (adjust to taste, I like a lot of garlic)
1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1-2 TB ground Indian curry blend (I use Frontier brand as it's organic and salt free)
1-2 cups chopped tomatoes (I used leftover roasted garlic pasta sauce)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Over medium heat, saute carrots, celery and onions until they start to soften, add ginger and garlic and continue to saute over medium low heat with half the curry blend until onions are soft and translucent.  Take one cup of broth and add to pan to de-glaze. Bring remaining broth to a boil in a large pot and add lentils, return to a boil and allow to cook for 5-10 min. Add tomatoes, remaining spices and sauteed veggies, reduce heat to low/medium-low and allow to simmer for an additional 10-15 min, minimum.  (I turn it to low and let simmer 30 min or so)

Remove from heat and let cool (unless you have an immersion blender, then just blend in the pot) and pour 1/2 to 2/3rds of the soup into a blender.  Please be careful, this is hot stuff and blenders can be tricky.  I have a large blender which fit the contents nicely. I set it on low and pulsed it cautiously while holding the cover on with a towel to protect me from any unexpected eruptions.  Blend the soup until creamy and then add back into the pot, stirring to combine.  Serve with a dollop of basil pesto.

Basil Pesto

2 cups basil leaves (or 1/2 and 1/2 using parsley)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup parmesan, grated (I can manage some cheeses thankfully!)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
olive oil (about 1/4c or so)
salt, to taste

In a food processor add the above ingredients and process until paste forms, add olive oil until desired consistency is reached. Refrigerate in air tight container.

1 comment:

  1. Great start Steph! I've have begun following and added you to my blog roll. Looking forward to the journey. :)

    ReplyDelete