16 February 2012

Reviewing Bob's Red Mill GF Bread Mix

The photo does not do the loaf justice, it's not as dense as it looks, though it is a bit dense and rather chewy, but I like bread substantial enough to sink my teeth into.

After our shopping foray yesterday (we have an Ocean State Job Lot here a few towns away and I remember from a few months back that they have a great selection of BRM products.  So to check the selection and price them out to compare to our local grocer we took a trip down.  All in all it depends on the product, this bread mix was a dollar cheaper at OSJL so worth the trip when I lack time or supplies.

So I started this loaf earlier today, the yeast in the packet was bloody useless so I had to dump a second packet from my own stash in.  It calls for one egg plus enough egg whites to make 3/4 cup. WTF? I didn't have that many eggs so I put in two eggs and two whites and maybe got 1/2 cup.  Mixed it up left it to rise for an hour, despite the directions to immediately put it into a greased bread pan to rise.  I gave this two risings, it's the baker in me, I can't neglect the risings.  I will warn you the dough smells atrocious however after baking for an hour and cooling for an hour the end result was delicious and as good as any gluten bread I have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment