13 February 2012

Smoothies

My biggest downfall is impatience when it comes to being hungry.  My blood sugar tanks fast and if I do not get fed I get irrational. I had a doctor tell me that the low blood sugar response in some people isn't any different than insulin overload in diabetics, we get combative, irrational, just plain nuts.

Which brings me to smoothies.  I love through all sorts of things into the blender and see what comes out.  I love almond milk, I love kefir...Today's smoothie features almond milk because I am trying to stay off dairy for awhile, or at least minimize it.  I've been taking part in a PCOS jumpstart program and the recipes provided call for ingredients far beyond my budget!  So I tinkered, worked with what I had in the house and added almond milk, (2cups as I made smoothies for myself and the girl-child), about a cup of chopped organic kale, two spoons of brown rice protein powder, two spoons of ground flax (no seeds here), some whole almonds, frozen organic cranberries, mixed frozen berries and what leftover blueberries I had left in the freezer.  All in all it was pretty good.  I could've added a bit of honey or maple syrup but I don't like things too sweet so I was happy as it was.  It's a bit grainy and gritty,  from the almonds and flax meal but still manageable and a great meal or snack. 

I struggle with eating enough, I can easily do two meals a day which is no good for my snail-paced metabolism. So getting in a smoothie or two not only gives me some nutritive goodness I also get more fruits and veg too!

and I'll admit I am feeling damn healthy having had that fresh kale in there (and not tasting it!)

1 comment:

  1. Here's my fav. smoothie!
    * One cup Almond or Coconut Milk
    * Half a frozen banana
    * 1.5 - 2 cups fresh spinach
    * .5 - 1T coconut oil(depends on how much fat you want)
    * 1T chia seeds
    * 2T dark chocolate cocoa powder
    * 1t cinnamon
    * zest from one orange
    * stevia to taste (I like 3 scoops)

    Blend with a little ice... yummy!

    ReplyDelete